Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Getting it Together

Decision made.  Check!
Plane ticket to staging in Philly booked. Check!
Travel arrangements to Bishkek made.  Check!

Preparations have begun.  I will be leaving Alaska the night of the 23rd/morning of the 24th.  A little bummed since that means I will miss out on a full day with my family and friends. I don't really have to be to Philly until the 25th, but lame-o Alaska flights are the way they are.  BUT, I am trying hard to not dwell on the little things, so I am gonna roll with the punches on this one.

My next big task to tackle will be packing.  For anyone that has been around me before a trip they are well aware of my deep rooted hatred of packing.  Emphasize that dislike due to the fact this packing will be the cross road of what I have available to me in Kyrgyz and what I will be leaving stored in my parents basement.  And it isn't just clothes, it is other essentials to maintaining some glimmer of my regular life.  We will see what I come up with to squeeze into my bags.

I had the request that I let people know what I was missing from my packing list and what they could possibly provide me with.  I put this list together for anyone who may have these items laying around their house or want my undying graditude for helping me out by providing them to me:

UPDATE!! I just changed this list after multiple people asked what would be better to send me after I arrive in Kyrgyz instead of having me pack it with me now, so here is my new list divided into sections.  I will provide a mailing address as soon as I get one and I will list out all the warnings we are given about the best technique to mail packages without getting things stolen from them.  Also, I have flexibility in these lists.  Just because I put something under one category doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate it now and probably later too.  I am entering a world of unknown and don't have any idea how else to prepare for it.

Update (3/14): After my weekend trip to Fairbanks, many friends surprised me with some amazing going away gifts.  I couldn't ask for better friends.  Thanks to Inna, Quinn, Marisa, Tyler, Pamm, Nathan, and LeAnne for our thoughtful and awesome gifts.  I love you guys.


Appreciated before I leave:
Compression sacks (these will be a HUGE help)
Small card games (Tyler and Pamm have provided me with some fun ones that will result in some good fun)
Surge Protector
Small collapsible umbrella (This will be very useful, Pamm!)
Smart wool socks
Kindle cover (HUGE thanks to Marisa Sharrah for going above and beyond to get me this.)
Printed photos to add to my family/friends/Alaskan scenery album (Amazing photo album with some great memories, Tyler.  You're the best.)

Very appreciated for after I arrive:
Bleach Pens
Potato Peeler
Alaskan post cards (to hand out or also show as Alaska pictures)
Packets of crystal light/Gatorade (Thank you sooooo much, Nathan! I am going to rock the fruit punch)
Baby wipes (very important to helping my hygiene while there)
Nail polish (So far, big thanks to Marisa and Pamm.)
Granola bars/Luna bars/any snack food
Highlighters/Markers/Colored Pencils/Dry erase markers
Dry erase wall calendar
Day planner
Hot water bottles (the heating is sporadic in the winters)
Nyquil/Dayquil/Tylenol
Small scented candles (These are going to smell great in Kyrgyz, Pamm)
World map/US Map
Tack (the putty stuff that adheres to the wall)  

A big thank you and the promise of a postcard from abroad is guaranteed to anyone who can help me out.  :)

And just for the heck of it, here is the photo that my coworker drew for me to help prepare for my departure.   

1 comment:

  1. So, excited that you are going!!! I hope the blogging continues. These are the things that Chad and I will cover for your packing list...

    Nail Polish (how much do you want, I have a vast collection I am willing to share!)
    Highlighters (Lucky for you I just went through our home assortment of pens, pencils, markers and highlighters and I have a plethora of highlighters with your name.)
    Small scented candles (As well, I have a large variety, I will pick you out a selection!)

    Make sure to let me know if you need other things and we may get you a few other additional items off of the list too!

    ReplyDelete